WakeMyPC Technical Features and Requirements
The WakeMyPC Enterprise Server software is installed on a single organisation server to provide centralised workstation wake-up. The software has a small footprint and does not require a dedicated server. The software fully supports operation in a virtualised environment and is highly scalable. A single server may support over 100,000 registered workstations. The server collects and stores technical information about each workstation and provides a convenient web interface for users to quickly wake-up workstations.
WakeMyPC Server has the following technical requirements:
- Windows Server 2003 or later (x86 or x86-64) with at least 2GB of RAM. Larger installations may require more RAM.
- Internet Information Services with ASP.NET support and the free Microsoft .NET 4.0 Framework.
- Free Microsoft® SQL Server Express Edition 2005/2008 or greater with the most recent service pack installed.
- Approximately 1KB of data storage per client workstation (i.e. 20,000 PCs will require approximately 20MB of storage).
Automated workstation registration
An optional WakeMyPC Agent is supplied which fully automates the task of collecting and maintaining Windows-based workstation information.
This removes the need for time-consuming manual systems administration. The common WakeMyPC Agent supports the following platforms:
- Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista or Windows 7/8/10 (32-bit and 64-bit platforms)
- Windows 2003 Server and later (32-bit and 64-bit platforms)
WakeMyPC Agent is designed to integrate seamlessly with a Windows Active Directory / Group Policy (GPO)
infrastructure. The software is supplied as an MSI together with an industry standard ADM/ADMX policy file.
Typically the agent may be deployed in only a few minutes. WakeMyPC Agent may be installed with a variety of alternative deployment and configuration methods.
Common examples are:
- RM Community Connect
- HP OpenView
- XCOPY style installation (single self-installing EXE)
Advanced Wake-on-LAN Technology
Traditional Wake-on-LAN (WoL) technology has a reputation for being difficult to implement
and unreliable in practice. Basic WoL may only be used in small un-routed networks, is
inherently insecure and unsuitable for use over the Internet. WakeMyPC overcomes these
limitations by using a variety of advanced networking techniques. Combined these ensure a
reliable and consistent user experience often with no network changes required. The product
improves upon traditional WoL:
- Allows wake-up by users using just their user or computer name
- Fully supports complex, routed networks without requiring network-wide broadcasts
- Allows Wake-on-LAN to be secured (may require some router configuration)
- Provides confirmation that workstation has been successfully woken
- Seamlessly integrates remote wake-up and remote desktop connection
Data Synergy also provides the following related tools:
- Free WOLMAN command-line tool for investigating and debugging WoL network issues. This is included with the WakeMyPC Server and is also available directly from the Data Synergy website
- DMCMOS32 utility for configuring BIOS features, such as WoL, on large numbers of similar computers